New English word? Translate any word using double click.
CLASS: JSS 3
SUBJECT: BUSINESS STUDIES
TOPIC : COMMUNICATION
Communication is the passing of information from one person to another or from one organization to the other. It can also be defined as the sending or exchanging of information, ideas, opinions, between two or more persons or organizations. Communication involve the sender, the information or message and the receiver.
IMPORTANCE OF COMMUNICATION
1. It provides a link between the producer, the wholesaler, the retailer and the consumer.
2. It helps producers to quickly inform their potential customers of the latest improvements in their products
3. Communication promotes advertisement which leads to quick sales and enhanced profits.
4. It facilitates business contact and speedy delivery of messages between one businessman and another
5. Modern communication methods makes trading possible through the internet without the buyers and sellers knowing themselves.
Types of communication
1. Internal communication: This is the communication that takes place within a business organization, such as communications with colleagues, superior, subordinates and other employees.
2. External communication: This is a communication with people or other organizations outside the business, such as customers, suppliers, financial institutions, government agencies etc.
Means of Communication
1. The Traditional means of communication: these includes the use of wooden drums, message carriers, town criers, talking drums, flutes etc.
2. The Nigerian postal system (NIPOST): This involves the carriage and delivery of mails, parcels etc. with and outside the country.
3. The Nigeria Telecommunication Limited (NITEL): This includes the use of telephone, telegram, telex etc.
4. Internet Services: Internet is a system which links together computers all over the world and makes it possible for people to communicate with each other irrespective of their location in the world.
5. Global System of Mobile Communication (GSM): This is a wireless system of telephoning which can be moved from place to place and with which you can talk to a person in any part of the world.
6. Courier Services: This is a special quick mail delivery service. This is aimed at collecting, transporting, efficient handling and safe delivery of letters, business documents, parcels etc. to their destinations either by land or air
Barriers of effective communication
3. Physical barriers
Ways to overcome barriers to effective communication
1. The message must be appropriate for the people/person it is sent to
2. Keep the message simple and clear
3. Avoid the use of technical language that other people might not understand
4. Choose a suitable way of sending the message
Methods of communication
1. Oral communication: This is the most common form of communication. Most oral communication is either face-to-face or using the telephone.
2. Written communication: This includes letters, emails, faxes, memos, reports etc. Reports, memos and emails are used for internal communication, while letters, reports faxes and emails are used for external communication.
Identify two barriers to effective communication that a fisherman might face. Suggest ways in which he could overcome them.