TOPIC: INTRODUCTION TO BUSINESS STUDIES AND BUSINESS ACTIVITY
CLASS : JSS1
I. Explain the meaning of business studies
II. Identify the components of business studies
III. State the importance of business studies
IV. List career opportunities in business studies
Meaning of Business Studies
Business studies is a subject which provides us with the knowledge, understanding and skills needed for productive work or activity. It is also the study of various components of a business environment such as office practice, book-keeping, keyboarding, commerce and computer education.
Importance of Business Studies
1. The knowledge of business helps people to manage an office effectively.
2. It helps to people to own and run small business enterprises
3. It enables individual to keep accurate documents
4. It gives an individual the opportunity to keep accounts and enter transactions into different books.
Component of Business Studies
§ Office Practice: This deals with activities carried out on a day-to-day basis within an organization.
§ Commerce: This covers the buying, selling and distribution of goods and services.
§ Bookkeeping: This concerned with recording business transactions in an orderly and meaningful manner
§ Keyboarding: This is used to describe the process of inputting data using a typewriter of computer
§ Shorthand: This is the use of signs and symbols to represent spoken sounds.
Career Opportunities in Business Studies
8. Insurance person
9. Computer operator
10. Operator of a small shop
1. Classify the following carrier opportunities under a components of business studies
g. Computer operator